Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ancestral Migrations

The third lab assignment in my Dreamweaver class is published to the website. The parameters of the lab involved a lot of navigation links and hotspots on images. For content I focused on the Harney branch of my ancestors as they moved from the East Coast to the Rocky Mountain area. Initially I thought it would be appropriate to use maps from the approximate period, but my choice of maps turned out to be less than ideal. If I rework the content, I’ll use brown and white maps with minimal landmarks to allow the migration route to show up better. I should have know that from the beginning, having spent so many years reading the West Point Atlas of American Wars. But the lab is due now, so no time to make that kind of change. The text is also rather sparse, since that was not the focus. Another reason to rework this set of web pages would be to flesh out the information presented and maybe add some photographs. I’m also not particularly happy with the background photo and not because it is from an entirely different branch of the family. I just don’t like the repeating image idea. Using a table to form the basic layout would have been a better idea, but it would have taken me longer to figure out and it wasn’t part of the spec.

2 comments:

Jane The Younger said...

All these years I thought Upper Heck and Lower Heck were just polite ways of saying H E Double Hockey Sticks! Now I know the truth!
http://www.rupponline.net/lab3/new_mexico/index.html

"Mathias Heck started a ranch along the creek in 1876. The main Heck homestead (Upper Heck) was farther upstream. It is unclear whether Lower Heck was built by the Heck family, or later when the land passed, via Waite Phillips of Phillip's Petroleum, into the hands of the Boy Scouts."

David said...

Upper Heck is not too far from the damn that creates Webster's Reservoir.